Thoughts on University of Kentucky Athletics, the textbook industry, and the ridiculousness of American politics.

Monday, October 1, 2007

Big Blue Badness

First, let me say that I generally am an unconditional supporter of UK athletics. There are few exceptions. The Midnight Madness ticket distribution debacle on Saturday was an exception.

5:30 a.m. - I wake up feeling pretty good, considering the previous evenings beer intake.
6:30 a.m. - Arrive at Memorial Coliseum. The line looks ridiculous, so I decide to try online at
my office. My wife, who also woke up early, is at home trying to get tickets online as well.
7:05 a.m. - No luck online for me or my wife. Ticketmaster is giving the impression that all the
tickets are gone, but I know this cannot be the case. My wife checks out what people are saying on the Catspause message board. No one on there is able to get tickets through Ticketmaster either.
7:15 a.m. - I decide to walk to Memorial to try to get tickets. The line is still fairly
long, but it is moving pretty fast. I notice that the people who just got tickets are
getting back in line to get more. A guy behind me says that it his sixth time to go
through the line.
7:25 a.m. - I am about 15 feet away from ticket booth. Sandy Bell is standing there and is
checking vouchers.
7:26 a.m. - What the hell is a voucher? Do I need one? I walk past her and nothing is said. I
proceed to the ticket window. The associate asks me for my voucher.
7:27 a.m. - What the hell is a voucher? Do I need one? The girl won't give me tickets. I tell her
that I started in the back of the line. I have waited in line. No one gave me a
voucher. Where am I supposed to get this voucher. I am sent to the back of the line.
7:35 a.m. - I start through the line again. The line is about 5 people wide. About half way
through the line, there is a non-official looking person on the left side of the line
handing out little pieces of paper. If you were on the right side of this line, this is the
guy that you did not see.
7:40 a.m. -I am second in line at the ticket booth. The guy in front of me gets the last available
ticket. As I walk away, a UK athletics official looks at Sandy Bell and says, "I think
that went pretty well."
7:41 a.m. - If that went well, I would hate to see it go badly.
9:00 a.m.- UK Athletics website posts that Ticketmaster is having problems. We are never
able to log onto Ticketmaster.
10:00 a.m.-We go to a Kroger to see if the Ticketmaster booth inside has any tickets. They tell
us the event is sold out.
10:01 a.m. - I start cursing.

At the time of this writing, I am still cursing.

1 comment:

Klive Jr said...

You should've got a voucher brah - that would've made things easier.

i know what your sayin about the online foolishness - the peoples i was going with got up early before we tailgated and try to get tickets - NO LUCK. Apparently (OBVIOUSLY) there was a problem with the systme and you couldnt get them online till 10ish i think

But I think it went well!